In order for a judge to consider your application for emancipation, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a Texas resident
- Be 17 years old OR be 16 years old and living separately from your parents or guardians
- Be financially self-supporting and managing your own money (this means paying for your own rent, clothes, phone, school books, etc. Living somewhere else for free does not count as being financially self-supporting)
- Be able to convince a judge that it is in your best interest to sever all legal ties with your parents, including their responsibility to support you
- What is emancipation?
- How can I get emancipated?
- What are the requirements for getting emancipated?
- What forms do I need to get emancipated?
- If I have a baby, will I automatically be emancipated?
- If I am married, am I automatically emancipated?
- If I join the military, am I automatically emancipated?
- Emancipation Information for Parents
Any other questions? Call or text us: 1-866-999-5263