Health Care

If you are a minor (under 18), a parent or legal guardian must consent to medical treatment for you in most cases. There are exceptions. In most situations, you can only consent to your own medical, dental, psychological and surgical treatment if you are at least 16 years old and you live on your own.

However, regardless of your age or where you live, you CAN consent to hospital, medical, or surgical treatment for anything relating to a pregnancy, EXCEPT for abortion. This includes Caesarian section (C-Section birth), gestational diabetes screening, and pregnancy related blood tests and sonograms. See our judicial bypass page for information on consenting to abortion without parental involvement. You can call any of these clinics to discuss your pregnancy options.

A minor can also consent to a pregnancy or STI test without involving a parent. You do not need the consent of a parent for the diagnosis and treatment of an infectious, contagious, or communicable disease that is required by law to be reported to the state agencies (such as HIV, syphilis, Chlamydia, and gonorrhea).

Not all clinics in Texas require parental consent for birth control
, although some do. Visit this page to find the health care clinic nearest to you where you can receive a birth control prescription without parental involvement.

If you are pregnant and wish to continue your pregnancy, it is critical that you receive medical care as soon as possible. Visit our parenting and adoption pages for more information and resources. If you wish to terminate your pregnancy and can receive parental consent, you can make an appointment for a sonogram and abortion at any of these clinics. If you wish to terminate your pregnancy but cannot receive parental consent, visit our judicial bypass page or call us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-866-999-5263. You have options.