How can I get emancipated?

You must file this application with the district court’s office in the county in which you live. There is an application fee. The judge can then decide to hear or not to hear your case.

If you go to court, you will have to convince the judge that removing your disabilities of minority would be in your best interest. The judge will want to know what you plan to do for your education and career, and how you will pay for your food, housing and other needs. You will also have to show the judge that there is a good reason why you need your disabilities of minority removed. Disagreeing with decisions your parents or guardians made about your living situation will probably not be enough to convince the judge.

If you need to be able to sign a rental agreement or other contract for yourself, or if your parents are outside the United States and can’t get back in to sign permission slips and other documents for you, a judge might think you have a good enough reason to remove your disabilities of minority.

If you do not think you will be able to meet the standards for emancipation, but you want to leave a dangerous situation at home, a protective order may be able to help you. You can read more about how a protective order might be an alternative option to allow you to live apart from your parents in this guide from the Texas Advocacy Project.



Related Questions

Any other questions? Call or text us! 1-866-999-5263