Yes. Abortion is one of the safest medical procedures available, and is significantly safer than childbirth. If you are feeling nervous about the procedure, talk to the doctor at the abortion clinic where you will be getting your abortion about what it entails. Check out this fact sheet from the National Abortion Federation to learn more, or these FAQs from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. You can also read more about abortion and the different kinds of medical procedures that can be done to terminate a pregnancy on this post by Scarleteen.
If you are interested in learning more about the safety and potential side effects of medication abortion (abortion with pills) compared to the surgical abortion procedure (aspiration abortion, before 14 weeks), you can look at this comparison of the two from USCF.
- Is it legal to get an abortion in Texas if I’m under 18?
- Can teens get abortions without parental permission?
- How do I get an abortion without parental permission?
- Where can I get an abortion in Texas?
- How much do abortions cost? How will I pay for my abortion?
- How far into my pregnancy can I have an abortion?
- Is it safe for a teenager to get an abortion?
- Where can I learn more about abortion?
Any other questions? Call or text us! 1-866-999-5263