Online CLE Training: Judicial Bypass and Domestic Violence
Who is this training for?
Attorneys & Guardians Ad Litem
- Attorneys. Through our network of Texas referral attorneys, Jane’s Due Process provides free legal representation to any minor seeking a judicial bypass for abortion. Attorneys can file for fees from the State of Texas. Because it is critical that minors receive experienced, judgment-free and fair legal representation when applying for a judicial bypass, Jane’s Due Process requires all network attorneys to complete training (free and approved for CLE, see details below).
- Guardians ad litem. Jane’s Due Process also identifies attorneys and lay people who are willing to serve as guardians ad litem. “GALs” who serve in bypass cases can file for fees from the State of Texas. Like the counsel who represent Janes, GALs must be unbiased and well-informed to fairly serve Janes in judicial bypass cases. Although courts hearing bypass cases are not required to rely on “the list” or “the wheel” of family law-certified GALs, many courts prefer to appoint GALs who have completed specialized bypass training (free and approved for CLE, see details below).
What does the course include?
The State Bar of Texas has accredited the course for 2.00 hours of CLE, including 1 hour of ethics. The course is presented in three video segments, with downloadable supporting materials, as follows:
- A Texas Minor’s Legal Right to Reproductive Health Services (1 hour CLE credit, including .50 hour ethics) – Historical underpinnings, constitutional framework and current practice and ethical considerations. Presented by Susan Hays, co-founder and former legal director of Jane’s Due Process
- Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse (.50 hour CLE credit, including .25 hour ethics) – Screening and reporting obligations, confidentiality and ethical considerations and legal remedies to support survivors. Presented by Maricarmen Garza, attorney and director of Texas RioGrande Legal Aid’s “Legal Aid for Survivors of Sexual Assault” Group
- Practical Tips and Strategies in Judicial Bypass Cases (.50 hour CLE credit, including .25 hour ethics) Co-presented by Susan Hays and Maricarmen Garza
How do I sign up?
If you are interested in joining our network of referral attorneys and GALs, please complete the form below. Once you complete it, we will be in touch with you to provide access to the online CLE training.
If you have any questions about the training or want more information about serving as counsel or GAL, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (512) 444-7891.